Monday, March 11, 2013

Cupcakes and a healthier alternative.

Wooo! I got another project done (despite not having this thing called "free time" which a lot of my friends have...).

If you read the title of this post, you already know what it is. It's a cupcake!

 

I'm going to just make a leap of faith and say you know which one I crocheted.



It's a little lopsided, but that's alright with me. Food can be a little crooked and still yummy. I mean, look at that other thing, it's really ugly but it is the most tasty thing I've eaten in a while. I made them on Saturday, it's Sunday now and only 4 out of the original 18 are left. What can I say? I'm a hungry kid and my mom keeps stealing some.

In my crochet adventure this week, there weren't that many snags besides not having any time to do anything between track practice and indoor drumline practice. This Tuesday I stayed at school 12.5 hours. I'm not even in the musical! Aaaah! My life is going to be like this until just about the end of April, so I am heavily reliant on my Study Hall to get work done.
Another slight snag is that I read the pattern wrong a little bit in the frilly part of the cupcake and didn't skip stitches so in part of it the frills are a little too close together, making it look more lopsided. I think I may have been accidentally increasing also, which is why the cake part leans a little bit.
The biggest snag of all is probably the fact that I found out my entire base of knowledge is a lie.
The tutorials I read and the videos I watched in the beginning of my quest told me I could use the back, front, or both loops in a stitch. 
 That means, in the V looking parts, I thought you could use one of the loops in the V to "pick up a loop" and then do the rest of the stitch from that. 
I was wrong.

In the pattern I was doing this week, it said "Sc into back loops of each st". That meant I needed to do what I was doing regularly as a special thing. I took my yarn off the hook, ripped out all of my stitches, and started over to do it the "correct" way. It wasn't a big change and I understood what I had to do instead. It was just really annoying.

I persisted, I succeeded, and look at my results! Not bad if I do say so myself. 

As per the title, I have a healthier (and more importantly, edible) alternative to cupcakes (and yarn cupcakes, which I emphasize, CANNOT BE EATEN) that aren't muffins, since everybody knows muffins are mainstream.
(Excuse my improper meme usage here but I couldn't come up with anything better)
At the top of the post there was a second picture of a thingy. I can't say it looks like a muffin or a cupcake. I used a muffin/cupcake pan so it counts. It's probably more of a granola bar thing, but it goes well with my project of the week and it was a cute idea and I'm sorry not sorry.
If you'd like the recipe, just email me because I am far too lazy to type this up if nobody is going to read it. (Who am I kidding? Nobody is going to read this anyway)
Voila.
 
UPDATE: It's Monday now, there are none of these left :(

------- Becca

Reading of the week!

  1. Bagasao, Christy. "How to Convert Knit Stitches to Crochet Stitches | eHow.com." eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Mar. 2013. <http://www.ehow.com/how_7717083_convert-knit-stitches-crochet-stitches.html>. 
  2. Blakesley, Kim. "How to Convert Crochet to Knit | eHow.com." eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2013. <http://www.ehow.com/how_8619431_convert-crochet-knit.html>. 
  3. Contributor, eHow. "How to Choose the Right Crochet Hook | eHow.com." eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://www.ehow.com/how_4561186_choose-right-crochet-hook.html>. 
  4. Gilbank, June. "PlanetJune by June Gilbank » how to make a magic ring in crochet [video]." PlanetJune by June Gilbank, crochet pattern designer. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2013. <http://www.planetjune.com/blog/how-to-make-a-magic-ring-in-crochet-video/>. 
  5. Gilbank, June. "PlanetJune by June Gilbank » Magic Ring (left-handed)." PlanetJune by June Gilbank, crochet pattern designer. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2013. <http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-left-handed/>. 
  6. "Is the gauge important for crochet? - Yahoo! Answers." Yahoo! Answers - Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100708153544AAGyJdp>. 
  7. Kachmar, Alicia. "How to Crochet: The Magic Adjustable Ring." CrochetSpot. N.p., 10 July 2010. Web. 9 Mar. 2013. <www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-the-magic-adjustable-ring/>. 
  8. Knit Simple. "Learn to Crochet | Understanding Instructions | Knit Simple Magazine." Winter 2012 | Knit Simple Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/30>. 
  9. Mom, Sarah. "Repeat Crafter Me: Crochet Owl Hat Pattern in Newborn-Adult Sizes." Repeat Crafter Me. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2013. <http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/09/crochet-owl-hat-pattern-in-newborn.html>. 
  10. Petals to, Picots. "Petals to Picots Crochet: How to Crochet a Magic Ring." Petals to Picots Crochet. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Mar. 2013. <http://www.petalstopicots.com/2011/11/how-to-crochet-magic-ring.html>. 
  11. Solovay, Amy. "How to Slip Stitch in Crochet." Crochet -- All About Crocheting -- Free Patterns and Instructions. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2013. <http://crochet.about.com/od/learntocrochet/tp/how-to-slip-stitch-in-crochet.htm>.
  12. Wyden, Genevieve Van. "How to Choose Yarn for Crochet | eHow.com." eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://www.ehow.com/how_4452209_choose-yarn-crochet.html>. 

4 comments:

  1. Becca, I think that you're doing an amazing job! I remember when I was little and my grandmother tried to teach me how to knit. I was able to do it, but I would never be able to remember as of now. Hopefully, you'll remember in 10 years. Anyway, keep up the good work! However, don't be so misleading; I was looking forward to seeing a cupcake but I saw a muffin. Noooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But this is crochet #1 and #2, IT IS A CUPCAKE SHHHHHHHH

      Delete
  2. Becca, wow, that cupcake is adorable and you have done an outstanding job! Throughout the entire blog post, you were very descriptive about each difficulty you experienced which I thought was great. I also have tried crocheting, but had difficulty, which I thought was very relate-able. I got a bit confused about the middle section when you went into description about the stitch you had to do. I wish you gave a bit more clear explanation that someone who didn't know much about crocheting will be able to understand. Overall, I hope you project is going well, and once again I love the cupcake! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffin looks so good! (And so does your granola, muffin, cupcake, thing!)

    I am sorry to hear that you got the stitch confused, and had to redo part of your project. I know the feeling. When learning how to knit I originally learned the wrong way to cast on, (an easier knotting way,) and was mad when there was something funny about my first few rows. It was annoying having to learn the different way to cast on (the sling-shot method). I am glad that your cupcake came out correctly in the end, though!

    I know that you probably don't want to think about it, but what are you going to do for your Ted Talk? Have you met your original goals? What have you learned about crocheting and about yourself because of this project?

    Good luck with this week's project!


    ReplyDelete